Laurel Snyder, an author with a lovely style and voice, is doing a hundred skyped school visits in a hundred days. She’s also offering a free book (Bigger Than a Breadbox) to the first thirty teachers that sign up. Hurry over to her blog to check out the details.
Webinar with Mary Kole
Eighty-nine dollars gets you a ninety-minute lecture as well as an opportunity to ask questions and…and…and…this is hard to believe:
All registrants are invited to submit the full manuscript of their picture book (up to 1,000 words) after the event, though you are encouraged to revise your manuscript first, based on what you learn. All submissions are guaranteed a critique by instructor Mary Kole. Mary reserves the right to contact any attendees by e-mail following the event if a manuscript is of the highest quality.
If I had a PB manuscript, you’d better believe I’d be in this webinar. As it is, I don’t have a PB manuscript, but I may take the webinar, anyway, to learn the following:
- The essential elements of books written for young child readers
- How your kid reader thinks about picture books and what they want
- What agents and editors look for in terms of pitch, writing, and book premise
- The specific guidelines of this market
- Examples of great picture books from today’s shelves
- How to handle illustrations and how to format your submission
- How to make your hook absolutely irresistible
- What separates an aspiring writer from a contracted author in this field